Camp Hippo is owned and run by husband and wife team Jan & Gary Kilsby. Our Aim is to provide Healthy, Interesting, Practical, Physical and Organised acitivites and camps for children and adults alike. We are the leading provider in the area.
Jan and Gary’s Background
- Gary and Jan have been teaching at Pocklington School for 15 years.
- Both are involved in the delivery of Games, Sports Coaching, Cadets, D of E, School trips, Holiday camps, Trampolining, Lifeguarding, Swimming, Cheerleading, Gymnastics & Dance.
- Prior to teaching at the school both served 22 years with the British Army as members of the Royal Army Physical Training Corps.
- Gary and Jan represented Great Britain at the World Age Group triathlon championships in Perth Australia. Jan also represented the Army at the European Triathlon Championships.
- Jan coached the girls Under 11 Novice trampolining team to success at the National Schools’ Trampolining Championships. The team was nominated as BBC Yorkshire Team of the Year. Which they duly won.
- Gary and Jan have been running Childrens’ holiday camps at the school for the past 13 years. This also involves trips to the South of France each summer.
- They have taken cadets to Annual camps (which are one week long) and weekend competitions for the past 15 years.
- They are both qualified as RLSS Lifeguard Trainer Assessors and have delivered Lifeguard courses at the school pool for the past 4 years. The School training centre was awarded “Best Training Provider” 2015 by the Humberside & East Yorkshire branch of the RLSS.
- Jan has been the senior coach and has created a Trampolining club which has been running for the past 9 years. The club is based at the School's Sports Hall.
- Jan has created the (Pearls) Cheerleading group in the school which has been operating for the past 12 years.
- Both created and now Jan runs the school’s swimming teams.
- Jan has a degree in Psychology (BSc (Hon)
- Jan has a BTEC National diploma in Childhood studies.
- Gary has a Certificate in Education (CertEd).
- Both have current DBS certificates.
- Both are National Trampoline Coaches (Jan level 4 & Gary level 2).
- Both are ASA swimming teachers (Level 2).
- Both are RLSS Qualified Lifeguards.
- Both are RLSS qualified Lifeguard Trainers & Assessors.
- Both are qualified to teach the National, Rescue Award for Swimming Teachers & Coaches (NRASTC).
- Both are First Aid at Work (FAW) qualified.
- Both are qualified FAW, AED & Paediatric First Aid trainers & assessors.
- Both have full driving licences which allow them to drive minibuses.
- Jan is a National BCA Cheerleading coach.
- Jan is a British Gymnastics Coach.
- Gary is a Gold Expedition Assessor for Duke of Edinburgh Award (DofE).
- Gary has a Mountain Leader Training award.